Sunday 21 July 2013

Mithras Court

I had Mithras Court on my radar for a little while now.  I was looking for something a little different to "read" (listen to on my commute) so I decided to pick this up on Audible.



"When you've lost what you love most, a life in hell comes easy...

Lewis Beckford's wife was murdered on a London subway car; now Lewis spends his night searching the underbelly of London looking for the man with the snake tattoo. A year after her death, he finds Richard Baxter, but his attempt to bring the man to summary justice for his crime goes horribly awry when the train finds its way to Mithras Court Station, a place not on any mortal map of London. The only key Lewis finds is a name - Sir Lucius Knight. But Knight seeks only his own empire to rule, and in Mithras Court, he has that. Lewis cannot buy his assistance easily, but Knight offers a deal: Lewis' aid in Knight's plan to expand his kingdom in exchange for Lewis' freedom."



I was pleasantly surprised by this book!  I really enjoyed it!  The setting was right up my alley - gothic horror.  And the Ravenloft setting was one of my favourites when I was role-playing in my teens.  The part of the book that really stood out for me was when they arrive at Mithras Court in the train.  I don't want to spoil it for you, but I loved the atmosphere and what happens there.

I tried not to think of how all the people in Mithras court live and how it functions economically, so I just suspended belief and enjoyed the ride.  Check this one out if you're into Gothic Horror Victoriana.

No comments:

Post a Comment